Back in late 2014 I did my first garage mod by connecting a door sensor to a Raspberry Pi single board computer, so I would get an e-mail if the door was left open more than 5 minutes. You can read more about that one here. Since then I’ve made 2 more mods that I’d like to share. Read more…
So anyone who knows me, knows that I am a jack of all trades. From assembly language to C#, from carpenter to electrician to auto repair, I fix stuff. Well over the weekend we had new quartz counter tops installed along with an under mount deep sink. I would take care of the electrical, to include under cabinet lighting as well as the plumbing. After the counter top people were gone I went to work to get the sink operational. Read more…
I’ve tried using Robocopy bandwidth throttling switch many times in the past but never seemed to figure it out. Today I have the need to start a slow copy for many files over a T1 line and went in search of the solution again. I came across this blog post that gave a formula that works perfectly.
D = (Ba-Bd) / (Ba*Bd) * 512 * 1000
Where D = the /IPG switch value you will enter in Robocopy.
Ba = the available bandwidth of the link in Kbps.
Bd = the desired bandwidth you want to consume in Kbps.
In my case the link is a T1 so I used 1500 for Ba and I wanted to use 200Kbps. So I ended up with 2218 for the IPG switch and now it’s a nice slow copy that will go overnight.
Something I’m bad about is rotating canned goods. After looking around I found a company that sells some cardboard ones here: http://canorganizer.com/ I also found some made of plastic and full blown metal ones here: http://www.thrivelife.com/food-rotation-systems I wanted something strong but didn’t want to spend a ton of money either so I came up with my own plan.
I still have a couple more to make. For anyone else who has some woodworking skills and wants to make some the plans I used are all included below with lots of pictures.
Just a quick reminder to pickup whatever stock you think you might need. Reference this post https://murison.wordpress.com/2011/09/24/incandescent-light-bulb-ban/
I was just at the store and there are no 100W or 75W bulbs to be found. Good supply of 60W for now.
I’ve gone to LED for the can lights in the kitchen and they work great. There is a fraction of a second delay between turning on the switch and the light coming on, but they come on at full brightness so I can deal with that. Slowly working on replacing all the CFL flood light bulbs with LEDs. LED prices are still too high for all the fixtures in the house so I’ve stocked up with a supply that should last about a decade. By that time the price should be better, or I will have won the lottery 🙂
I had a gun safe in the trunk of my car for the last few years but now I’m getting ready to trade it in. I removed the safe and figured it was a good time to change the batteries. Of course I should have found the manual first but in this internet age I didn’t think there would be any problems finding it online. Well, much to my surprise the manual is no longer available on the manufacturers web site. I was able to pull down a couple pages by visiting the way back machine but that wasn’t enough. After much searching I found a forum post where a guy posted his e-mail address if anyone needed the instructions. I figure I’ll post the basics here for easy access. A big thanks goes out to Calvin who sent me the pdf!
Back in March of 2011 did a blog post with my comparison between the Breville and Cuisinart K-Cup brewers. You can read that post here
I then made an update at the bottom of that post indicating that the Cuisinart had died after only 7 months. On Dec 14 a user by the name of sezron commented that the reason these machines keep failing is because they use a car part designed for turning on and off the flow of air. Well that sounded pretty interesting and it just so happens that I still have my first dead Breville sitting in the basement; don’t even ask why. I finally got around to taking it apart to see if this was true. So here we go. Read more…